it ate my gums

Like most folks I started using a Sonicare toothbrush at the behest of my dentist. Actually, three seperate dentists over the years asked me to use it. And sure enough, less plaque on my teeth come cleaning time. However, over time my dentist began telling me that my gums were receding faster than made sense. I have clean teeth and floss twice daily. So, I was told to focus brushing the gums to stimulate the tissue. Long story short, I underwent a tissue transplant to replace my gums below my lower front teeth. Not a trivial thing.

The oral surgeon who performed the procedure said that 80% of his clients have receded gums from Sonicare. The other 20% is split between older patients and those that have chewed tobacco. The moral of this story: Beware The Sonicare!

Advertisements

One thought on “it ate my gums

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s